vCenter “FLUP-grade” Part I: Migrate vCenter Server 5.5 to vCenter Server Appliance

What happens when you Fling and then Upgrade? My best guess is a FLUP-grade!

A while ago I thought of making changes to my virtual home lab. I have become slowly frustrated with the amount of “stuff” and “things” running on my Windows 2008 R2 vCenter Server; to the point where the thought of booting it up, makes me yawn! It’s not useful for getting quick answers or to test something, which is most of the time!!

I saw the VCS to VCVA converter fling being pimped out a while back by the genius that is William Lam and thought that I’d really like to give it a go! It would enable me to remove my old vCenter Server, have a cleaner estate and let me get stuck in with the vCenter Appliance!

Here is the FLing part of my UPgrade. The aim is to publish Part II which will then move my environment forward to VCSA 6! I followed the documentation provided with the converter fling, which was excellent! I’m not going to post the entire process as you can download instructions that are in .docx format, but I’ll post the interesting bits.

Requirements:
– vSphere 5.5 – Check!
– VCS and VCSA same version – Check!
– Same hardware on both – Check!
– All VCS components on same host – Check!
– External  MS SQL 2008 R2 Database – Partial Check:- I’m running SQL Express DB and it’s not supported. But I’ll give it a go anyway (It’s only a simple lab!)
– Web Client Plugins registered with AD User – Check!
– Comms on 22, 443 and 445 enabled – Check!
– All Admin/DB credentials ready – Check!

1) After following the guide; stopping services, deploying/configuring the converter, building and snappnig an empty vCSA, I entered in my existing vCenter Server  local admin credentials:
CAP6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2) The migration appliance then collects what it needs from the existing VCS:
CAP7

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3)  When prompted, I powered down my VCS, powered up my new VCSA and continued with the install, accepting the prompts for SSL key and entered the root password for my VCSA and entering in DNS information.

4) Then I proceed to login to the VAMI Interface (http://VCSAHOST:5480) and setup the embedded database & SSO.  Once that was all complete, I came back to the migration tool and entered in my AD details as I had joined my appliance to a domain.CAP24

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5) I then had to wait for a while with files copying from the migration tool. Then, I was presented with the SQL database login credentials. The first time I attempted the DB migration, I selected “Migrate stats/events/tasks”.
CAP30

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6)  This didn’t go so well, and the installation hung:
CAP27

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7) After using  “Alt+F2” to get to the console, I took a look in /var/log/migrate.log and found this:CAP28

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8) It seems that choosing to migrate the stats/events/tasks might not have been a good one for a simple home lab migration! (167,943 rows! Ooops!). This process took a LONG time and after watching it thrash my poor little 1 vCPU for ages, I got bored and left it overnight and went to bed 🙂CAP29

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9) I came down the next morning and the process had got stuck, so I started again and at Step 5 chose NOT to migrate that information!
CAP31

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That was it! I logged into the VAMI and all was well. I followed the final steps of the guide; re-enabling plugins, etc and then gave the new VCSA a reboot for good measure!

All in all, I was very impressed with this tool, it is a superb effort from the engineers involved. The next part of the plan was to upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0!

One comment

  1. Pingback: Newsletter: May 30, 2015 | Notes from MWhite

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *